- January 26, 2018
- Galley Jobs
- Miami, FL
Please note: this position is located on our RV Coral Reef II located in Miami.
This is a full-time position. The Chef/Hospitality Coordinator oversees the food preparation and service, housekeeping and the accommodations of the R/V Coral Reef II with the goal of providing an excellent guest experience. These operations include: provisioning, maintaining a sanitary galley, prepares and serves appealing meals in a timely manner, ensure all common areas are kept clean, maintains stock of toiletry supplies for guests, oversees the cleaning and laundry operations, budget, and prepares cabins for guest arrival. In addition, assists captains in departure and arrival of the boat, performs minor maintenance duties directed by the captain and operates small boats if necessary to assure the efficient operation of the R/V Coral Reef II.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate commitment to Shedd's vision, mission, and values.
- Oversees meal planning, presentation and delivery for participants and crew aboard the vessel.Accommodates for food allergies and dietary requirements and provisions accordingly.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary galley for the preparation of meals.
- Purchase, pack and store food for the meals that will be prepared on the vessel.
- Keep an accurate inventory of food stores on board.
- Prepare and serve appealing meals in a timely fashion (as dictated by captain and trip leader) and be prepared to eat dinner with the guests unless otherwise required for duties by the captain.
- Oversee the housekeeping and laundry needs for the vesselPerform daily housekeeping duties while underway to include cleaning of the common areas of the ship, bathrooms and emptying trash from heads and cabins.
- Ensures all rooms and clean and tidy each day.
- Oversees inventory of toiletries, linens, towels, blankets and pillows and recommends replacement when necessary.
- Deliver and pick up laundry.
- Record, handle and account for money spent for food and cleaning supplies including billing and collecting of checks and invoices.
- Assist in the safe departure and arrival of the vessel. To include handling lines and anchoring vessel.
- Perform maintenance on the vessel independently, with guidance from the captain and first mate.
- Operate small boats as necessary.
- Owns and maintain a vehicle capable of carrying out shopping needs and other job related errands. Mileage will be reimbursed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education:Degree from a culinary/hospitality school or equivalent experience.
- Experience: Minimum 3-5 years' experience in professionally cooking and planning meals for groups.
- Excellent customer service, organization, planning and problem solving skills.
- Hospitality industry experience.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Experience as a deckhand, handling boat lines and operating small boats.
- Basic first aid, valid STCW credential or greater certificate.
- Small boat handling experience.
- Valid driver's license
- Scuba certification a plus
- Physical DemandsLift, pull, push, and carry up to 50 pounds
- Maintain balance (equilibrium)
- Climb up and down vertical ladders and stairways
- Step over high door sills and coamings and move through restricted accesses
- Manipulate mechanical devices using manual and digital dexterity, and strength
- Crouch, kneel and stoop
- Use hand tools such as spanners, valve wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, pliers
- Long hours in isolated settings
- Living with a small community of people 24/7
- Hazardous weather conditions
Work Experience Requirements:
All applicants must have previous experience in working on a Yacht or a Cruise Ship.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.