Skipper/ Sailing Instructor Wanted to Lead Teen Summer Programs in Caribbean
- Deck Jobs
- Captain, Water Sports Instructor
- St. Martin
- Job updated:
- April 8, 2021
Broadreach is a leader in experiential programs abroad for middle school through college aged students. Over the past twenty-six years, more than 18,000 students have traveled with Broadreach to over 40 countries.
Our mission is to challenge students to broaden their perspectives through new experiences and environments, to inspire them to develop lifelong skills, to discover and explore their passions, and to empower them to reach beyond limitations and take charge of their future.
Broadreach is an IYT (International Yacht Training) partner school and offers courses from “Introduction to Yachting” to “Bareboat Skipper”. Skippers lead summer live-aboard diving, sailing and marine science programs in the Caribbean aboard 40-55 ft. catamarans and monohulls.
Skippers teach sailing lessons, and along with their co-leaders, facilitate positive group dynamics, lead games, assist students with cooking and cleaning duties along with cultivating personal growth and leadership development in our students. Our staff prioritize safety and are energetic role models who excel in building meaningful relationships with their students. Leading a Broadreach program is a fun, rewarding, and demanding position.
Broadreach maintains a small group size of 12 students or less led by two or three instructors. Programs range from 12 to 37 days and can be challenging for students and instructors, which makes a positive demeanor essential. Our strongest instructors are flexible, team players who excel in quickly changing scenarios, while maintaining a supportive, fun, and cohesive community.
Contracts range from four to ten weeks in length from early June through late August.
- Licensed US Coast Guard Captain, Yachtmaster or equivalent experience.
- Comfort operating a yacht over 45 feet from standard operations to sail training.
- Small boat handling skills as staff regularly operate RIBs and small boats with 6hp to 50hp outboards.
- Able to confidently maneuver in tight harbors and anchorages under power.
- Understanding of basic yacht and diesel engine maintenance.
- Experience in multi-day sailing trips/deliveries/chartering.
- Experience working with teens or young adults required; experience teaching sailing to youth ideal.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills, able to work without direct supervision and adaptable to often changing, dynamic environments.
- Passion for mentoring and motivating students.
- Physically fit and able to participate in outdoor activities such as hiking, snorkeling, etc.
- Demonstrated success working on diverse teams with a collaborative mindset.
- Great communication skills and a professional demeanor to serve as a Broadreach ambassador.
- Able to attend staff training in St. Martin the first week of June.
Preferred Skills & Attributes:
- Experience teaching sailing to teens or young adults or significant experience working with youth in a mentorship capacity.
- Experience leading teens or young adults on multi-day programs.
- Significant international travel experience.
- Open availability from early June to mid-August increases chance of placement.
- Wilderness First Responder certification or higher or willingness to obtain before program.