Summer Skipper Wanted in the Caribbean & French Polynesia
- Date posted:
- February 27, 2018
- Deck Jobs
- Caribbean & French Polynesia
Skippers wanted to lead teen sailing programs this summer in the Caribbean & French Polynesia!
Over the past twenty five years, Broadreach has taken more than 17,000 students on experiential education programs to over 40 countries. With programs for middle school, high school and college aged students, Broadreach courses span the globe exploring extraordinary destinations and fascinating topics through hands-on instruction with the ocean as the classroom.
Critical to our success is our team of knowledgeable program leaders who inspire students, foster personal growth and cultivate future leaders. Broadreach instructors prioritize safety and risk management while also serving as mentors and friends to their students. They are engaging, energetic, and fun role models who enjoy building meaningful relationships with students. Leading a Broadreach program is a fulfilling, exciting, and demanding position.
Sailing Instructors/Skippers lead summer live-aboard diving, sailing and marine science programs in the Caribbean or French Polynesia aboard 40-55 ft. catamarans and monohulls. Broadreach is an IYT (International Yacht Training) partner school and offers courses from “Introduction to Yachting” to “Bareboat Skipper”.
Programs range from 12 to 37 days and can be mentally and physically challenging for students and instructors which makes maintaining a positive attitude essential. Programs are limited to 12 students and led by a team of two to three instructors. Skippers work with a dive instructor, marine biologist, or a first mate to manage everything from delivering course content to leading onshore activities and more.
In addition to sailing instruction and sailing the yacht, skippers work with their co-leader to supervise students 24/7, facilitate group dynamics, assist students with cooking and cleaning duties, support scuba training and other program activities. Flexibility, teamwork, the ability to multi-task, and provide a fun, positive and cohesive community are all important requirements.
Contract length varies from two to three months starting in late May through early or late August.
- Licensed US Coast Guard Captain, Yachtmaster or equivalent experience.
- Comfort operating a yacht over 45 feet from standard operations to sail training.
- Small boat handling skills. You will be expected to regularly operate RIBs and small boats with 6hp to 50hp outboards.
- Able to confidently anchor in tight anchorages and maneuver in tight harbors under power.
- Understanding of basic yacht and diesel engine maintenance.
- Experience in multi-day sailing trips/deliveries/chartering.
- Experience teaching sailing preferred.
- Previous experience working with teens and young adults preferred. Experience teaching sailing ideal.
- Passion for mentoring and motivating students.
- Good physical health and stamina to actively participate and encourage students throughout program duration.
- Demonstrated success working on diverse teams with a collaborative mindset.
- Great communication skills. We work with a variety of stakeholders in diverse locations and seek someone with a professional demeanor to serve as Broadreach ambassadors to our international partners throughout the world.
- Able to attend staff training in St. Martin in early June.
- Open availability from late May to late August strongly preferred.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.