Designated Security Duties
- Course Type:
- Designated Security Duties
- Training School:
- The Seamanship Centre
- Killybegs Harbour, County Donegal, Ireland
- 1 day
To give those undertaking designated security duties on board ship the essential education and training meeting the Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency (KUP) requirements set out in STCW, which supports Chapter XI-2 of the annex to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) 1974, as amended and the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.
This course covers:
Regulation VI/6, paragraph 4 and Section A-VI/6, paragraphs 6 to 8 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended and incorporates Proficiency in Security Awareness laid down in Regulation VI/6 and Section A-VI/6 of the STCW Convention and Code
This one day course is programmed for persons who are employed or engaged onboard vessels for which the ISPS code is applied. The course meets the requirements for the understanding and proficiency requirements as set out in STCW A-V1 (section 6-8 as amended).
What are the entry requirements?
There is no intake restriction, although some sea going experience would be an advantage before undertaking a Designated Security Duties training course, and neither is there a requirement for the leaner to have completed Security Awareness training before being enrolled on a Designated Security Duties training course.
Course duration is one day.
This course is normally run on a Thursday and is day 4 of a 4 day STCW Basic Safety Courses programme as follows.
- Monday: STCW Elementary First Aid.
- Tuesday: STCW Personal Survival Techniques.
- Wednesday: STCW Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities.
- Thursday: STCW Ship Security Awareness & Designated Security Duties.
The above courses are mandatory for all seafarers in all roles aboard and must renewed every 5 years.
This course is available on the following days:
(please check the availability with the training school)
- 25th October 2018 (12 places)
- 24th January 2019 (12 places)
- 22nd March 2019 (12 places)
- 23rd May 2019 (12 places)
- 25th July 2019 (12 places)
- 19th September 2019 (12 places)
- 21st November 2019 (12 places)