STCW Proficiency in Designated Security Duties
£234 GBP (incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- Designated Security Duties
- Training School:
- Marine Education & RYA Training
- online course
- 1 day
Training in Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) must be undertaken by all seafarers and security personnel who are engaged onboard ship, who have been assigned designated duties under the Ship’s Security Plan (SSP). This online course lasts between 8 and 9 hours and there are 5 Learning Outcomes to this training.
- The learner knows why ship security is important and knows the roles and responsibilities of the organisations and individuals involved.
- The learner knows what constitutes security risk, threat and vulnerability to the ship, its personnel, cargo and operations.
- The learner knows the capabilities and limitations of security methods, equipment and systems.
- The learner knows how to maintain the measures in a ship security plan and related requirements.
- The learner is able to maintain the effectiveness of security arrangements, procedures and equipment at the three security levels, taking into account their limitations.
On completion of the training, the learner will possess sufficient knowledge to:
- State the procedures used to ensure continuing effectiveness of the ship security plan at Security Levels 1, 2 and 3.
- Conduct physical searches and non-intrusive inspections.
- Identify factors affecting crowd management and describe appropriate crowd control techniques.
- Explain the importance of pre-planning and participating in drills of emergency procedures affecting the security of the ship and/or port facility including:
- The need for all personnel to be aware of and adhere to pre-planned emergency procedures in the event of an emergency situation;
- Establishing and maintaining effective communications.
Please note: Those persons conducting personal close protection and/or ship protection duties (MSO) on ISPS Code compliant ships, do not need to hold an SSO qualification unless they are the designated SSO on the vessel in which they are serving. However, as they will be carrying out ship’s security duties they will have to hold an MCA Approved or recognised Certificate of Proficiency in Designated Security Duties.