STCW95 Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
£800 GBP (incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- Fire Prevention and Firefighting (Basic)
- Training School:
- 54 North Maritime Training
- Whitby, United Kingdom
- 2 days
Our Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF) course, accredited by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), provides an understanding of the nature and risk of fire, and expertise to respond effectively to extinguish fires, should they develop. This course also provides expert knowledge and experience from Cleveland Fire Brigades’ Risk Management Service, who deliver the training at the Grangetown Learning and Development Centre on our behalf.
STCW’95 FPFF is one of the four compulsory modules required for employment on all commercial vessels, fishing boats and ‘super yachts’ over 24 meters in length.
This physically demanding course allows the learner to access the skills and expertise that we have acquired from decades of operational experience in firefighting and delivery of firefighting training. Our course exceeds industry requirements and also provides opportunities to talk with experienced firefighters from current operational firefighting teams.
Develop competence in:
- Minimising the risk of fire and maintaining a state of readiness to respond to emergency situations involving firefighting and extinguishing a fire
Knowledge, understanding and proficiency in:
- Shipboard fire-fighting organisation
- Location of fire-fighting appliances and emergency escape routes
- The elements of fire and explosion (the ‘fire triangle’)
- Types and sources of ignition
- Flammable material, fire hazards and spread of fire
- The need for constant vigilance
- Fire and smoke detection and automatic alarm systems
- Classification of fire and applicable extinguishing agents
Demonstrating practical competence to:
- Use of various types of portable fire extinguishers
- Use of self-contained breathing apparatus
- Extinguish smaller fires, e.g. electrical fires, oil fires, propane fires
- Extinguish extensive fires with water (using jet spray and spray nozzles)
- Extinguish fires with foam, powder or any other suitable chemical agent
- Fighting fire in smoke-filled enclosed spaces wearing self-contained breathing apparatus
- Extinguish fire with water fog or any other suitable firefighting agent in an accommodation room or simulated engine room with fire and heavy smoke
- Extinguish oil fire with fog applicator and spray nozzles, dry chemical powder or foam applicator
- Effect rescue in a smoke-filled space wearing breathing apparatus
This course is held at our training facility in Whitby and Grangetown near Middlesbrough. The purpose built firefighting training centre includes modern, fully equipped training rooms and simulated ship environments for practical applications. There is an on-site canteen and ample car parking.