- Course Type:
- Shipboard Safety Officer
- Training School:
- online course
- 1 day
This is a course that teaches you how to perform the duties and responsibilities of a Ship Safety Officer, who is a person who is responsible for conducting risk assessments, implementing safety measures, investigating accidents and incidents, and promoting a safety culture on board.
The course covers topics such as the requirements of the International Safety Management (ISM) code, the safe operations and prevention of pollution on board, the additional training for safety and environmental protection, and the safety investigation of casualties and incidents.
Certification and approval
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate.
The course is delivered through an online learning platform and consists of lectures, quizzes and case studies.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the requirements of the International Safety Management (ISM) code, such as the objectives, scope, application, functional requirements, certification, and verification, and how to comply with them on board your vessel
- Apply the energy isolation (LOTO) and permit to work system (PTW) procedures and practices on board your vessel, and understand how they can prevent or reduce the risks of accidents or incidents involving hazardous energy sources
- Recognize the safety management principles and SMS structure that guide the development and implementation of the Safety Management System (SMS) on board your vessel, and understand how they can improve the safety performance and culture of your organization
- Implement the management of change and continual improvement processes and techniques on board your vessel, and understand how they can help you to identify, evaluate, and manage any changes that may affect the safety and security of your operations
- ISM code - purpose and objectives
- Safety Management System principles
- Role of the Safety Officer
- Occupational Safety
Regulations and guidelines
This course is based on the following regulations and guidelines:
- International Safety Management (ISM) code
- Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers
- ISO 45001: Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
- MSC-MEPC.2/Circ.12 Revised guidelines for formal safety assessment (FSA)
The course is for anyone who wants to become a ship safety officer or who is already working as a ship safety officer on board a vessel.