Rotational Chief Engineer
Featured Job Urgent Job
- Date posted:
- March 5, 2019 Private yacht
- Engineering Jobs
- St Thomas USVI
We are currently looking for a rotational chief engineer for a 40m long range expedition yacht.
We are looking for a rotational sole engineer to start in April at a salary of $6k pm x 12 plus flights and comprehensive medical insurance. We area 40m expedition style yacht that has been heavily refitted in the last two years meaning that nearly all equipment is new including; generators, watermakers, switchboard, stabilizers, lighting and HVAC. The ER is very spacious with a good size workbench and desk, we have lots of spare parts storage and virtually all equipment is easy to access. Main engines are Caterpillar 3308, generators are Northern Lights and the switchboard control is DEIF. She has a deliberately basic, easy to run machinery package with minimal electronics. The AVIT is also quite simple and managed by the captain.
We are private with no management company and the owner is a pleasant American family who are very experienced yacht owners; so far, their use has been occasional. We run with a crew of 7, the engineer has his own quite large cabin which is only shared when the owner’s chef is onboard. It’s likely that we will spend May in Savannah doing minor works before heading to the US/Canadian NE for the summer. We've had great crew longevity so far and spent last year on the US west coast where we may return. The yacht is run quite informally even with guests and we keep things as sensible as possible. The owner is seriously looking for a larger boat but that may take some time.
We're looking for an engineer who's not scared to get his hands dirty and has decent all-round experience; a ticket is not required as such but you should be an experienced Y4 or Y3 level.
You must also speak English fluently and have a US B1 visa. This position would be ideal for an experienced 2nd engineer wanting to get their first sole/chiefs’ position or a more experienced person who's had enough of the typical charter boat scene
The yacht has undergone an extensive mechanical, extension and cosmetic refit recently, she has traveled over 14,000 miles in the last year with very little issues.
The yacht is not chartered, it is a private yacht with light to moderate use by the owner to date.
We are looking for QUALITY crew, this owner is use to high level of crew standards. The owner is American and is a well-known yachting family with a history of owning multiple yachts up to 120m.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, I would like to get your feedback on the following questions please:
- What are your strongest personal attributes?
- Are you a licensed Engineer?
- Have you done any commercial engineering work?
- What type of project would you need assistance with if working on a job onboard?
- How many engineering watches have you stood alone?
- What do you consider your strongest and weakest knowledge base for yacht equipment?
- What is the longest you have worked with an owner/guest or charterer onboard?
- What is the longest stretch you have done with no days off?
- How often have dealt with a major issue onboard a yacht at sea and what was a big issue you solved?
- What is your favorite onboard job and your least favorite job?
- Do you understand Dief controllers?
- How are your sea legs?
- What was something you did wrong onboard and how did you deal with it?
- What is your history with Cat mains and Northern Light Gens?
- Are you vegan or anything else?
- What are you looking for in regards to a salary, we do offer full health insurance benefits?
- Where are you currently located and what is your availability
Work Experience Requirements:
All applicants must have previous experience in working on yachts matching the following requirements:
- Experience length: min 2 years
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
Certificates and Qualifications:
All applicants must hold a valid ENG1 certificate to be able to apply for this position.
A valid STCW Basic Safety Training certificate is required from all applicants. Please sign up for an STCW course and obtain the certificate if you don't have it yet.
Similar jobs you may be interested in:
- Looking for a chief engineer for a 50m private motor yacht
March 21, 2019 - Monaco ✔ Approved
- Chief engineer up to 3000kw
March 20, 2019 - Italy ✔ Approved
- Rotational Chief Engineer
March 19, 2019 - Worldwide ✔ Approved
- Chief Engineer
March 19, 2019 - Cote d'Azure ✔ Approved
- Chief Engineer
March 18, 2019 - East Mediterranean ✔ Approved