Private Yacht Chief Engineer- Rotational position
- Date posted:
- February 4, 2019 Private yacht
- Engineering Jobs
- Dependent on Experience
We are currently looking for a Rotational Chief Engineer for a 40m long range motor yacht. This well be a 10 to 12 week rotational time position
The yacht has just coming out of the 4th and final stage of major refit in San Diego, California that has spanned 4 shipyard locations and 24,000 sea miles in the last two and half years. We are in Panamanow after traveling 8000 miles since the beginning of last summer, with very little problems.
We will be heading for St Thomas in the first part of this month and after that it is unknown at this time.
The Scout is not chartered, it is a private yacht with light to moderate use by the owner to date.
Applicant must have a US Visa B1/B2 if a non-US citizen, a seaman’s book will also be a requirement
We currently operate the boat with 6 crew and it is team environment, there are no job titles if someone else needs help.
- Capt. (31 years’ experience) American,
- Engineer (20 years experience) British
- First mate (12 years’ experience) Hawaiian
- Deckhand (4 years’ experience) South African
- 2nd Deckhand -(2 years Experience) American
- Chief Stewardess/ concierge- (6 years’ expeince) South African
- 2nd stew- (4 years experience) American
The crew sleeping arrangements, we have four LARGE (for a 40m) crew cabins that are set with bunks. Two have their own heads and showers in them, the two forward cabins do not have their own in suite heads. The Chief engineer has his own cabin with in suite bath. there will be times the upper bunk will be occupied by an extra crew member if needed. (this does not happen often)
We are looking for QUALITY crew, this owner is use to high level of crew standards. The owner is American and is a well-known yachting family with a history of owning multiple yachts up to 120m.
If you are interested in being considered for this position I would like to get your feedback on the following questions:
- What are your strongest personal attributes?
- Are you a licensed Engineer?
- What type of project would you need help with if working on an engineer’s job?
- What do you consider your strongest and weakest knowledge base for yacht equipment?
- What is the longest you have worked with an owner/guest or charterer onboard?
- What is the longest stretch you have done with no days off?
- How often have dealt with a major issue onboard a yacht at sea and what was a big issue you solved?
- What is your favorite onboard job and your least favorite job?
- Do you understand Dief controllers?
- How are your sea legs?
- What was something you did wrong onboard and how did you deal with it?
- What is your history with Cat mains and Northern Light Gens?
- Are you vegan or anything else?
- What are you looking for in regards to a salary, we do offer full health insurance benefits?
- Where are you currently located and what is your availability
Look forward to hearing back from you.
Work Experience Requirements:
All applicants must have previous experience in working on a Yacht.
Good knowledge of the English language is required.
Certificates and Qualifications:
All applicants must hold a valid ENG1 certificate to be able to apply for this position.
A valid STCW Basic Safety Training certificate is required from all applicants. Please sign up for an STCW course and obtain the certificate if you don't have it yet.